At Holbeach Primary School, we value Art and design as it gives children of all abilities the opportunity to use their creative imagination to achieve their potential. Our high-quality art and design education engages and inspires our children, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. The curriculum aims to ensure that the children know how art and design contributes, shapes and reflects our history.
This love of art and design is underpinned by a clear focus on the Teaching of these Skills:
• using observational approaches to record the lines, shapes, tones, textures, colours, structures and forms they see. They will use expressive approaches to record the feelings and ideas they have and they will draw on memories as a source for their work.
• exploring all kinds of non-traditional approaches to making Art. Alongside conventional drawing materials such as pencil, charcoal, ink and pastel, the term ‘drawing’ is also used in a creative sense; children draw with wire, with clay, with sticks in plasticine.
• evaluating and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
• knowing about great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
• understand and use appropriate topic vocabulary
Our pupils are given regular opportunities to develop and apply the skills that they have been taught to support their learning in other curriculum subjects alongside Art lessons. They have opportunities to design, create and evaluate art work using language of art and design. Children are also taught about how art has contributed to the history, culture and creativity of the nation.